Friday, 8 May 2015

Light at the end of the tunnel

Just got home from hospital, having finally had the follow-up knee surgery that was originally due to take place in December last year.
Most of the metalwork has been removed, and a protruding piece of damaged cartilege has been trimmed back. Just got to wait for the healing process to do its thing and for the kneecap to not be floating about on a layer of fluid, going 'squelch' when I bend the leg.
With any luck, I'll be able to put this whole sorry episode behind me now and maybe even be able to walk a reasonable distance and get back to cycling.
Got a nice Trek road bike sat in the shed which I bought after getting rid of the motorbikes and only got a couple of months use out of before the knee pain brought that little pleasure to a halt. Hopefully I'll soon be able to get back on the old girl and put in some good mileage - especially as we'll be into Summer by the time the leg's ready to go.
Big hopes too that I'll be able to get back to my other great love of long walks in the countryside. Few things give me such pleasure as setting out with a bottle of water and an Ordnance Survey map - seeing the world from a different perspective than the usual view through a car windscreen, and being away from all the hysteria of modern life. Stumbling upon some remote village pub and stopping in for pint of local ale is always a welcome addition to the experience of course....
For the past 18 months life has been on hold, though luckily without being forced to listen to 'Greensleeves' on a perpetual loop. We haven't been able to book up any holidays or events because of me not being able to walk far or because it might clash with some appointment or other. If all goes according to plan, the last time I'll need to go to the hospital will be for a checkup at the fracture clinic in six weeks time when I'll hopefully be signed off completely - job done.
There's a distinct light at the end of the tunnel, and all I can hope for now is that some bugger doesn't turn it off.

Big shout to all the nurses out there - as I realised on previous hospital stays, these girls truly are angels. They work incredibly hard for long hours and inadequate pay, while dealing with all sorts of shit that most people would balk at. The wards are overworked, understaffed, and often badly run, but the nurses slog their guts out to make patients feel cared for and their needs provided for. The nurse that helped transport me to theater and sat with me for a couple of minutes until I was wheeled in still hadn't had a lunch break and this was after 4pm. I'd seen her rushing about since her shift started with her feet barely touching the floor, and I felt obliged to let her know how much I appreciated the work of her and her colleagues - especially as some bastard relative of a patient had shouted at one of the nurses the day before, reducing her to tears. Fair play to the doctor who came out and dressed down the thoughtless arrogant wanker in a very loud voice so everyone knew what a bullying arsehole he was.