Saturday, 2 February 2013

I have attitude and I'm not afraid to use it

After two weeks back-to-back with a lab full of third year students doing a teaching activity, I'm becoming a little concerned at the state of my mind. By Friday I'd lost patience with a group of students who were the most arrogant f**kwits I've ever come across because when asked to leave at the end of the session proceeded to completely ignore me and carry on with their discussion.
So I just turned all the lights off. F**k 'em.
I compared having a lab full of students to walking into your kitchen and finding the floor covered with cockroaches, and I had a bit of an argument with an academic about the appropriate method of carrying out an experiment.
Luckily the roads were dry on the way home so I took it out on the bike (another resolution bites the dust) and arrived home in record time before marinading my woes in alcohol.
Today, what should have been a simple trip into Ely for a wander around turned into a giant waste of time as there was nowhere to park and the queues of traffic were more reminiscent of central London than a quiet fenland town. So, a long round trip later we ended up in the Maid's Head in Wicken where a glorious pint of Cottage Brewing Company's MGA saved the day from descending into a major hissy fit.
And now I'm sitting here with a pint of Spitfire beside me wondering why despite my good intentions of cutting down on alcohol I'm still no further forward. Perhaps it's a coping mechanism. Perhaps it's just because it's more readily available than weed. Perhaps I don't care any more. Perhaps the Hokey Cokey really is what it's all about.
As I've got older I seem to be less afraid of saying what's really on my mind. I'll moderate myself to varying degrees depending on who I'm talking to, but I don't go in for sugar-coating my words.
I guess some people may find me hard to take for this reason, but frankly I no longer see why I should walk on egg shells around people. I call a spade a spade and I have no time for political correctness. I object to The Dambusters having the word 'nigger' edited out, I'll use the term 'oompa-loompa' when it fits and 90 percent of Audi drivers are total c**ts. Fact.